1 June 2016
Start: Harpers Ferry, WV
Destination: Ed Garvey Shelter
Trail Miles: 6.3 (Total walked miles: 11.3)
Destination: Ed Garvey Shelter
Trail Miles: 6.3 (Total walked miles: 11.3)
Total Trail Miles: 33.8
What a day! But first let me start out with yesterday. Mom and I picked my cousin, Colton up from Reagan National. By that time it was too late to get in the trail and we had to treat his clothing, tent and pack for ticks and other critters before starting. We were up until about 12:30am getting our packs in order but we finally did it. Mom and Libby took us to breakfast and then drive us to Harpers Ferry. Not only is that town jam packed with our country's history, but it's adorable as well! Old confectionary shops, boutiques, reataurants, museums and all sorts of monuments from the war.
We visited the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and weighed our bags. With seven days of food my pack was 26 pounds. Still one pound heavier than I wanted, but not too bad! It feels, at times, as if I am on the iron man show pulling one of those semi-trucks with a chain. But alas, it's only 26 pounds!
We me met McGoober today. She calmed moms soul even more than Magic Man did. She is from PA and is hiking North from GA.
The hike started out very flat today. Then a steep 1200ft climb that kicked every man, woman and child's ass. It was actually a beautiful hike. We stopped at the blue blaze (side trial leading to things such as scenic views, shelters, and water) trail to Weverton Cliffs. Absolutely worth the extra mileage. We sat looking over our Nation's River from a vantage point I imagine has been used a hundred times before, back when people used these mountains to scout their enemies and plan their attacks. And now we walk these mountains for "fun". A truly relative and loosely used term around here tonight.
We got to the shelter around 5:45pm. It's a huge two-story shelter that sleeps 12 people. Tonight there are two guys and their amazing canine. The rest of us, about ten I would say, set up our tents nearby. I can hear someone's music playing, a conversation nearby, road traffic (somehow), and many little (hopefully) animals all around me. I'm pretty much the only one in the woods over here. I may have selected the wrong spot strategically. I am first in flow for any wildlife that decides to nose about the humans.
I will try to keep this yap session to a few lines. But I must mention the almost half mile spring (aka water source) trek STRAIGHT DOWN the mountain we just hiked up. It was soul crushing. I had quite a fit on the way down, fought it, then finally accepted what that haul back up the mountain was going to be like with five liters of water. It was just as horrible as we'd imagined. But I already had my fit so I just walked, sweated a lot more after having finally cooled off, stopped for breaks and actually laughed about it, because there wasn't a damn thing we could do. Colton carried his bucket o' water up the mountain and salvaged a surprising 90% of the golden water.
We both decided we'd die of dehydration tomorrow before trek back down that mountain for more water, so let's hope we both have enough to get us to our next water source!
We'll hike early tomorrow, on the trail no later than 7:00am. I still don't have the plan figured out so I imagine I should be doing that right now.
"The secret of getting ahead is getting started"
~ Mark Twain
One step at a time
One day at a time
Happy Trails!
Shire
Disclaimer: Typos are a direct result from writing this blog while laying in my tent at 10pm, with one eye open and my phone falling bluntly on my face as I'm passing out asleep.
Did you make it?? Can't have you and your family dying of thirst on me. Got a good chuckle reading this post.. Keep em coming!
ReplyDelete