Thursday, June 9, 2016

Day 16: Beautiful Weather

9 June 2016

Start: Swamp Road
Destination: US 30
Trail Miles: 5
Total Trail Miles: 86.4

Today is my bros birthday.  He turns 40 today!  Happy Birthday Brother, I love you!!!

Colton and I had Roger pick us up at 0800 and we were on the trail by 0900.  It was honestly the easiest five miles I've hiked yet.  The weather was absolutely gorgeous and we can only hope it will continue for the next few days.

I didn't have a phone, so I didn't take many pictures.  My new phone arrived to the hotel and I'm setting it up tonight.

The hike today was shaded with a few views.  Tons of rocks, but not bad to hike on.  The breeze moved through the pine trees providing a quaint and familiar smell as I hiked.  It was short and sweet and we're back on it tomorrow.

I keep forgetting to take a picture with Roger, so I'll do that in the morning.  It will most likely be the last time we see him.

Something I'm learning is that people come and go on the trail.  We all offer some kind of depth to each others' hike and I really enjoy that.  Oh, that reminds me, Colton saw Slow Joe Crow!  Slow Joe had a pack the size of my townhouse on his back.  He was ready to give up a few times, but is so determined to hike the trail.  He took the advice of more experienced hikers and traded out some gear in town.  He said it changed his life.  He, like many people on the trail, myself included, underestimated what hiking with a pack on takes out of us.  So, he's on the trail and I am hoping we'll see him again soon!
Dobbin House

Original Bar
Tomorrow we head out of Gettysburg.  After our hike today we went to Dobbin House.  The tavern is under ground and was built by Mr Dobbin in 1773.  It was restored in 1975, but most of the items are original, such as the bar we ate on.  I know we are a little baby jesus country, but I grab ahold of any history I can.  Our latest trail angel, Lee picked us up from US 30 and took us to lunch.  He is a very generous human and I thank him profusely!  I wanted to see the battlefield again, but really had to take care of my phone, fitbit, blog, etc.  There is so much to do, I feel like I need to get back to the trail to take a break!

I received my new Blaze.  I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake in buying it, but I guess we'll see.  It's kind of bulkier than my Charge HR, but I love the interface.  I do not, however, need to read my damn text messages on it.  I mean, really?


1 comment:

  1. Hi SHIRE,
    Love the posts and pictures, esp the underground tavern Libby and I are going to go there when we go Lancaster. It looks really awesome.thanks for sharing all your experiences with us, it's fun to see and hear all of your escapades, with your cousin.
    Be careful, I love you both so much and are so proud of you guys for doing this, it's truly an adventure of a lifetime.
    One step at a time
    One day at a time
    safe travels, Mama and Aunty πŸ˜˜πŸ’œπŸ’™πŸ˜˜πŸ’œπŸ’™

    ReplyDelete