Thursday, June 9, 2016

Day 14: D-Day Moments

7 June 2016

Start: Pen Mar Park
Destination: Swamp Road
Trail Miles: 13.2
Total Trail Miles: 81.4

We said our goodbyes to Chris and set out for a 10 mile day refreshed and energized.  The morning was bright and cool, almost leading one to believe it would be a nice weather day for hiking.  Not so much.  It turned into a muggy, wet boiling day.  It was my first day actually hiking in the rain.  It took me four times, count them...f-o-u-r, taking my pack off and grabbing another rain item.  Why I didn't get all of them the first time I stopped and took my pack off in a thunderstorm, I have no idea.  Hey, it was my first time.  I attached my umbrella (Colton calls me Inspector Gadget), donned my rain kilt and raincoat and went about my hike.


Colton and Trail Angel Chris
  Somewhere during the storm I passed Colton.  He must have been hunkered down in a shelter when I passed.  It was a day full of beautiful views and a few rocky patches.  Colton and I have been hiking separately for the most part.  Each of us hiking our own hike.  Besides my cankle, he's 11 years younger than I am and has calves made of steel.  He glides right up the mountain and I catch up to him much later in the day.  So, I wasn't too concerned about not finding him at any of the waypoints along the trail. We planned to tent at the Chimney Rock overlook so I continued on to that location. Unfortunately, my phone broke, like broke broke and I couldn't take pictures, but I did manage to get one.

Break Time

Rail Crossing
Morning Sun
After a 1200ft climb, I reached the top.  I realized I felt better physically than I had since I started the trail. It was enlightening and felt pretty great.

After sitting there for a while I also realized I didn't have enough water to get me through until the next morning.  A sobering thought considering I had no energy left to hike forward or back down the 1200 feet.  I sat at Chimney Rock looking at the prettiest view I've seen so far on the trail.  I didn't have a phone, no music, no audio book, no one to talk to.  It was just me and the wind.  I was reminded why I'm doing this hike.  Honestly, sometimes I forget.  Or I at least let the thought of it go as I deal with every step, all the logistics, and general trail thoughts and where we need to be or go in the next hour or day.  It allowed me some time to reflect on D-Day, Midway and what humans are capable of when faced with the worst of humanity.

Chimney Rock View

The moments I sat there alone were some of my most peaceful and memorable yet.  Right as I began to be concerned about Colton, I hear a jubilant "Cousin!!" and a smiling Colt who had just sprinted up the 1200 feet to try and find me.

While he waited out the storm he met Tumbler, a SOBO (Southbound hiker), who told him about the South Mountain Tavern.  They let you tent on their lawn, have ridiculously low hiker prices on food and beer and is only three more miles down the trail.  Um, yes please.

The hike to the street wasn't too bad, but we were both toast.  Our feet were killing us and our energy levels were at their lowest.  We tried to hitch the additional mile to the hotel/tavern, but alas, no on picked us up.  So we walked.  And complained.  And maybe shed a tear or two, but we made it!  We walked into this local establishment and everyone in there said "Hey! Hikers are welcome here!".  It was such a welcomed relief.

Roger's Numbers
We met Conductor and Cheap & Easy there.  This is Conductor's third thru-hike.  THIRD!  I mean, he must love the torture.  What a treasure trove of knowledge he was.  His full trail name is Conductor the Blue because he says he's a wizard.  Well, he had the sassafras in his pocket to make tea with to prove it.  I was pretty excited to meet my first wizard!  Anyway, he filled my head with knowledge, tips and tricks and a phone number for a ride.  We'd been seeing these signs since northern Maryland offering a ride and now Conductor was introducing Roger to us as well.  Must be a sign.

Joanna ran the tavern.  She was the only person working and she operated this place like a well oiled machine.  She did not stop moving the entire time we were there.  We sat with Cheap & Easy and Conductor and ate dinner.  The locals were friendly, the bartender/superwoman was on point and they let us pitch our tents in their yard.  First time for everything.

It was very chilly.  The storms brought in a cold front.  I welcomed it!

Tomorrow we get our resupply boxes and on to Gettysburg!




No comments:

Post a Comment