Monday, June 27, 2016

Day 30: Accidental Distillery

23 June 2016

Start: Port Clinton, PA
Destination: Germansville, PA
Trail Miles: 0
Total Trail Miles: 225.6

I did hike today.  Just not the Appalachian Trail, so my miles are zero. Today was an unexpected day. We stayed with Lisa, an old friend of Driftwoods from Miami, and her family on their farm. What a loving family! Again, the kindness I've experienced never ceases to amaze me. So we decided to stay on the farm. Today was a tough day for me and my family. Two years it's been since we lost my dad. Some may say that's a long time. But it's been like a flash to me. I can still feel his hand in mine and hear his voice. I hope that never fades! 

Anyway, I left the farm alone to spend some time outside and with my dad. Several miles down the road, some good pictures, some great scenery...is what I first imagined to be an oasis in the farmland. But, alas! It WAS a distillery! Right here in Germansville. Well, I took it as a sign. A gift from Dad of you will. And of course went insid. 

 
 

It's a veteran owned family business and I got to spend time with the hand crafted sweet nectar's maker. It was educational and extremely informative.  Part art, part science. I learned about American laws surrounding whiskey and rum production, barrel aging and what the heck Apple liquor is and was historically. Overall, a really great experience. As I was leaving, who walks in but Lisa and Colton. Another Gin please! :)
We all walked to the local pizzeria and enjoyed a slice or two. Then walked back to the farm. I got to watch a couple episodes of Orphan Black! The day shaped up pretty well, all things considered. 

Some more pictures from the farm:

 

1 comment:

  1. What a treat! I love it when days come together like this.

    ReplyDelete