Start: PA 443 / US 72
Destination: US 645
Trail Miles: 11.1
Total Trail Miles: 200
State: Pennsylvania
We got a late start today. And lucky us, because Dirty Ernie stopped by our campsite to tell us about Trail Magic he, his wife and friends had set up across the street. Dirty Ernie is a 2007 thru-hiker. He is a retired police officer. He hiked the AT as a 65th birthday present to himself...with the support of his beautiful wife, SOS (Squirrelly Old Senior). He did a flip flop and came out at PA 443, right where we were camped. He said he experienced so much trail magic and kindness on his hike that he and his wife set up every year at the very spot he finished his hike and feed hikers for two days.
And when I say feed...think Thanksgiving Day, only it's a surprise. He cooked BBQ. They had fresh fruit, cookies, hiker snacks, drinks. They let us drop off our trash. These people were exceptional. And they did it simply because they like to give a long-distance hiker something positive and special to lift up their spirits. It works every single time!
I told Dirty Ernie he had one of my favorite names and he loved it! It's certainly true. If I ever have a son I'll name him Ernest...but don't tell my other brothers. ;)
After the late start and one heck of a send of from our trail angels...we had a rather leisurely day. Although we shouldn't have, it's just kind of how it happened.
I had to go into town. Unexpectedly. Dang it. The only place to be able to do that was US 645, so that would only put us at 11.1 miles for the day, but I didn't really have a choice.
We got to the busy road and I began looking up Uber. No cars available Lyft? Not operating in this area yet. Cab? $1 million. Guess we'll hitch! The truck that picked us up was rather huge with a CO loving owner that always likes to help out hikers. He told us a few stories and we laughed, then jumped in the back of his truck. What an exceptionally happy truck ride this was. I had the biggest cheese grin plastered on my face. The wind was cooling off our hiker sweaty bodies. We drove through rolling hills and old farm land. It was a plush and green landscape you can only imagine in your dreams, or the Shire. Hobbiton would consider relocation if it saw this green.
Since I had to go into town anyway, I decided to get a room. It's next to the drug store, and super cheap with hiker pricing. We scheduled a pick up for tomorrow morning at 7:30 am. Once in the room tonight, I didn't move from the bed. I showered, ate cereal for dinner and couldn't even muster up the desire for a beer. It was just what I needed after twisting my bad ankle today.
Yep, twisted it in a bad bad way. Not sure if I've already mentioned this in an earlier post, but I was leisurely walking down the trail. It was mostly soft dirt and pine needles. Except for the non-distinct, minuscule rock I happened to graze with my left shoe. It immediately and spontaneously turned over, my ankle kissing the ground before I knew what was even happening. I can't describe the pain that seared through my leg. I hunched over and proceeded to cry like a five year old when you take away their iPad. Twenty minutes later, I was back in the game. So much for being a tough guy.
We had some beautiful views today. We know because we sat at each one of them for far too long.
Happy Trails!
Punky Shire
Destination: US 645
Trail Miles: 11.1
Total Trail Miles: 200
State: Pennsylvania
We got a late start today. And lucky us, because Dirty Ernie stopped by our campsite to tell us about Trail Magic he, his wife and friends had set up across the street. Dirty Ernie is a 2007 thru-hiker. He is a retired police officer. He hiked the AT as a 65th birthday present to himself...with the support of his beautiful wife, SOS (Squirrelly Old Senior). He did a flip flop and came out at PA 443, right where we were camped. He said he experienced so much trail magic and kindness on his hike that he and his wife set up every year at the very spot he finished his hike and feed hikers for two days.
And when I say feed...think Thanksgiving Day, only it's a surprise. He cooked BBQ. They had fresh fruit, cookies, hiker snacks, drinks. They let us drop off our trash. These people were exceptional. And they did it simply because they like to give a long-distance hiker something positive and special to lift up their spirits. It works every single time!
I told Dirty Ernie he had one of my favorite names and he loved it! It's certainly true. If I ever have a son I'll name him Ernest...but don't tell my other brothers. ;)
| Dirty Ernie and SOS |
I had to go into town. Unexpectedly. Dang it. The only place to be able to do that was US 645, so that would only put us at 11.1 miles for the day, but I didn't really have a choice.
We got to the busy road and I began looking up Uber. No cars available Lyft? Not operating in this area yet. Cab? $1 million. Guess we'll hitch! The truck that picked us up was rather huge with a CO loving owner that always likes to help out hikers. He told us a few stories and we laughed, then jumped in the back of his truck. What an exceptionally happy truck ride this was. I had the biggest cheese grin plastered on my face. The wind was cooling off our hiker sweaty bodies. We drove through rolling hills and old farm land. It was a plush and green landscape you can only imagine in your dreams, or the Shire. Hobbiton would consider relocation if it saw this green.
Since I had to go into town anyway, I decided to get a room. It's next to the drug store, and super cheap with hiker pricing. We scheduled a pick up for tomorrow morning at 7:30 am. Once in the room tonight, I didn't move from the bed. I showered, ate cereal for dinner and couldn't even muster up the desire for a beer. It was just what I needed after twisting my bad ankle today.
Yep, twisted it in a bad bad way. Not sure if I've already mentioned this in an earlier post, but I was leisurely walking down the trail. It was mostly soft dirt and pine needles. Except for the non-distinct, minuscule rock I happened to graze with my left shoe. It immediately and spontaneously turned over, my ankle kissing the ground before I knew what was even happening. I can't describe the pain that seared through my leg. I hunched over and proceeded to cry like a five year old when you take away their iPad. Twenty minutes later, I was back in the game. So much for being a tough guy.
We had some beautiful views today. We know because we sat at each one of them for far too long.
Happy Trails!
Punky Shire
No comments:
Post a Comment