Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Day 12: Rain in Maryland

5 Jun 2016

Start: Pine Knob Shelter Tent Site
Destination: Ensign Cowall Shelter Tent Site 
Trail Miles: 8.2
Total Trail Miles: 58.7

Today was supposed to be an "easy" day of hiking. We were going to hike eight miles and assess my cankle situation. Elevation gain was minimal. Just a 400ft climb out of the tent site. Well...go ahead and let the elevation profile fool your naive soul. 

 

When we reached the shelter where we would dry out our tents and assess my ankle, I received my second trail magic!! Reading Man gave me a Yuengling!! Sweet glory, it was delicious. So we waited out the storm and drank a beer. Almost like a normal person. Except I'm sitting in close quarters with five stinky strangers. All so nice! They're from all over the U.S.  California, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Florida.


 

We also hitchhiked for the first time today. It was a random act, Colton just stuck his thumb out on the road here next to the shelter (it does happen quite often) and the very first car stopped and said he picked up hikers all the time and would help us with anything we needed.

 His name is Jim. He has a wife and kids, is 60 years old and enjoys helping hikers. He took a 65 year old thru-hiker last week to Walmart to pick up his prescription because his knees were really bad. He picked up another guy that simply needed cigarettes. And yet another whose trail name was Paul with Bunions. Great damn trail name! 

Something so simple right? But think about the last time you had a meaningful interaction with a stranger. Jim really brightened our day and he was doing something he thoroughly enjoys. 

 


 
 
I'm listening to a book called Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein. It's a nice reprieve from the constant monkey brain during. The ever so sloth-like slow times down or up a mountain trail made of rocks. Apparently, I haven't seen the worst of that yet. 

Walstreet, Lady Bug, Sunshine, Doc, Serena, and Slow Joe all stayed at the shelter or campsites tonight. Currently, the rain is coming down and the sound on my tent is like a like a lullaby. A mesmerizing lull making me forget what I'm writing about. I guess that's a good thing. 

So, first time for rain, first time for a hitch and first time hanging out at the shelter sharing our beer. The hikers were ecstatic. 

Happy Trails!
Shire

 
 

3 comments:

  1. This is Ernie. I'm proud of you girl
    You are as stubborn as well you know
    I read every day .keep safe and dry I know you will be alright. One step at a time. L you

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Ernie. I'm proud of you girl
    You are as stubborn as well you know
    I read every day .keep safe and dry I know you will be alright. One step at a time. L you

    ReplyDelete