Start: Peters Mountain
Destination: Spring and Tent Site (1167.7)
Trail Miles: 10.2
Total Trail Miles: 172.2
Destination: Spring and Tent Site (1167.7)
Trail Miles: 10.2
Total Trail Miles: 172.2
We were on the trail at 7:00am thanks to Paige and Jed!! I forgot my toiletries bag (well, it's a beat up ziplock, but still my only toiletries) at Jed's and he brought them to me on the trail. Seriously...best of humanity. I will continue to say it and post it here. And try to highlight the kindness and generosity of the people I've met along the way. I think we all need a reminder of the inherent goodness of human beings.
Today was "easy" trail. It was mostly along the ridge and pretty flat. Or so we thought. The rocks are what slows us both down. My ankle and now Driftwood has reinjured a year old foot injury. We were both hurting today but the weather and the views made it all worth it! We ended up only doing 10.2 miles today because we both thought stopping early and giving our feet a little time to rest would be best.
Our first stop today was Table Rock. Driftwood had been there for quite sometime by the time hobbled in. And what a place to have breakfast and enjoy the morning breeze. We probably stayed there too long, but it was gorgeous and the day needed to be savored.
After Table Rock we stopped at a shelter for water. It was the only water source for another 6.5 miles so we had to go down. It was a very steep .25 mile straight down. Over 300 rock steps to get there. These are not included in the trail miles so most thru-hikers weigh their options pretty closely before making the treks.
So, we decided to take our trail magic from our trail angel Rich and chill it in the spring while we were down there.
It was refreshing and wonderful. We moved on and Driftwood drifted ahead of me as usual. It was glorious weather and we both enjoyed the hike.
Oh! Moonshine! That's Doubtfire's partner's name. Great trail names. And very nice people. Hopefully we'll see them again. I didn't see them or Emerald today.
Tomorrow my brother John is supposed to come get us after our hike. We're planning a zero day on Sunday and I'm hoping to spend it with him! We're trying to figure it out but I lost service today.
I definitely need a day off, but I'm already calculating when I can get back to the trail. I know a day off the ankle will help the healing out, plus laundry, showers, hanging with my bro and Jenny...all sounds very welcoming.
We are camped near a road and stream. A very busy road. Like a highway. Strange to be listening to songbirds, a stream and hundreds of cars going by.
I've been taking pictures of all the flowers I see on the trail. I will do a separate post for those.
Happy Trails!
No comments:
Post a Comment