Thursday, June 9, 2016

Day 13: Backtrackin' Bezzie

6 June 2016

Start: Ensign Cowall Shelter Tent Site
Destination: Pen Mar Park
Trail Miles: 9.5
Total Trail Miles: 68.2

Today was supposed to be a 9.5 mile day...and on the "books" it is a 9.5 mile day.  But in my real world I hiked an extra four miles.  That's right, it happened.  On a trail that averages white blazes about every 70 ft, I managed to get turned around and started hiking southbound.  The funny thing is, I had zero clue.  I was listening to my book and jamming out some miles.  My foot was throbbing, it was hot, and I was very focused on every single step I took in that rock pile of a trail I was hiking on.
Speaking of rock pile, that is literally what we hiked on today.  Huge bouldering rocks piled up as high as any of the trees in this section.  I came down one of these piles with rocks as far as my little peepers could see, but no blazes in site.  I looked everywhere.  About ten minutes later, I found one! Score!  I was stoked, turned my book back on and started hiking about 3.5 miles an hour.  And anyone who has seen my legs knows, that's damn close to running for me.
Field Crossing
I was almost 2.2 miles BACK in the direction I'd already hiked in when I was stopped by a NOBO (Northbound thru-hiker) asking me where I was heading.  He sorted me out, but I was damn confused.  I literally had no idea I'd just hiked over the same terrain twice.  So, befuddled and a little embarrassed, I turned around and started hiking in the right direction.

Colton and our latest trail angel, Chris (thank you soooo much!) had to wait for me at Pen Mar Park for over two hours for me to make up the four miles.  By the time I reached them, I was completely exhausted, but happy it was over.  I needed a shower and I needed food.  I didn't eat enough calories today and that's something I will be rectifying immediately.  I just didn't want to stop and I have a difficult time eating when I'm that hot.

Anyway, Chris picked us up at Pen Mar and graciously allowed us to immediately shower at his house.  It was glorious.  I will never take for granted taking a shower again.

We then went to a local Italian place Chris had never tried.  It was DELICIOUS.  I wanted to devour the entire menu.  Colton and I split a fig salad, truffle pizza, and fried green tomatoes.  I can't say enough how amazing this meal was.  Oh, and of course we sampled the local beers.  I had only one. You know I must be exhausted when I can't even drink beer!

After dinner we did some resupply shopping and went back to our trail angels house.  I fell asleep in mid conversation I'm positive.  Sorry, Chris! He took such great care of us.  As with Mike, I'm humbled to receive such generosity from total strangers.  It's a refreshing glimpse into a part of humanity one may not otherwise get to see.  I can't say it enough, thank you!!

Tomorrow we head back to Pen Mar Park.  Oddly enough, I'm actually looking forward to it.  My body is definitely telling me I need a day off, so I'm going to listen and Colton and I will zero in Gettysburg, PA!  I'm so excited!  I love that place.  The heart wrenching history, the people, the scenery, all of it.

Happy Trails!
Punky Shire

ps.  I keep going back and forth regarding my trail name.  I was given and officially my name is, Punky of the Shire.  Sometimes just Shire or just Punky or even Punky Shire.  I'm kind of settling into all of the names and don't really mind any of them at this point.  Although Backtrack is certainly becoming a theme and given name to Colton (Driftwood) and myself both!














No comments:

Post a Comment