Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Day 25/26: Movin' Along

18/19 June 2016

Start: Spring and Tent Site
Destination: PA 443
Trail Miles: 16.7
Total Trail Miles: 188.9

Today was a long hike only 16.7 on the book but we definitely took a few side trails! 

It was a beautiful hike though. 


Our plan was to see John but we're still kind of too far for that. So we needed an alternate plan because Driftwood and I need a zero day pretty badly!   Jed and Paige to the rescue! What great and kind people. 

They picked us up and we got to spend an evening with a local famous band and chatting with Paige and Jed. Hopefully they'll visit CO soon and I'll be able to repay them in some small way by taking them hiking in the Rockies and forcing delicious local craft beer their way. 

Jed dropped us off at our tent site the next morning where we both set up camp and settled in for a zero day. It was perfect. By a stream. We were freshly resupplied from the local grocery.  It was Father's Day so I spent some time alone with my pops. I talked to him, asked him for some fatherly advice about my ankle, cried a little, and was generally trying to be ok about him not being here with me. I'm getting better with that! :)

We heard there was a local grill down the street that caters to the local military population. Sweet! I'm in. We hitched a ride a few miles down the street and I met an entire restaurant full of Army service members going to school in the local area. It was like I was a coming home to a town full of people that didn't know me at all. It was interesting and odd at the same time but k enjoyed talking to them all. I met Earl, about 83 years old...said he was never a hiker because the Army hiked the enjoyment right out of him many years ago. 

After dinner we hitched back to our lovely site and enjoyed a fire. I elevated my ankle. Enjoyed the fire and relaxed. I'm ready to get back on the trail! It's been a nice day off but I'm missing the trail now. 

 

Resupply! 

Happy Trails!
Shire 

No comments:

Post a Comment