Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Day 20: Short Trek To Boiling Springs

13 June 2016

Start: Green Eyes; Formerly known as Random Campsite on a Mountain
Destination: Boiling Springs, PA
Trail Miles: 4.5
Total Trail Miles: 126.7

Last night, at a site formerly known as the Random Campsite on a Mountain, we were stalked by a large animal. Now some of you may laugh, but sometime in the middle of the night both Driftwood and myself were awakened by an animal running in circles around our camp. It was large and started walking, slowing it's pace, but it was still there. Then, we hear a squealing neither of us had ever heard before. It certainly wasn't any animal sound I could place. Neither of us spoke to the other, afraid to waken each other. Then I hear "Cousin, are you awake? Did you HEAR THAT?"...yes, yes we both did. 

For the next two hours we listened to this animal walk back and forth and circling our site. We began using our combat gear, whistles. We both had our knives and our whistle.  Driftwood had a flashlight. I decided it would be best if he came to my tent since we were being stalked. Harder to take down two of together we decided. 

As he got out of his tent he flashed his light toward the sounds of the leaves. Bright green eyes stared back at him. That's all he could see. But he and the animal were paralyzed. He finally ran over to my tent and we both began looking for the eyes. Now, this is the part where people try to tell us it was a raccoon.  But this animal was HUGE. 

Eventually, we both grew tired. We had only been asleep for an hour and by now it was 1:30am and we were still poised for battle. This animal was relentless. As I googled what wildlife are in PA, what animals reflect which colors, if there were mountain lions here, and how to live through a bear attack...Droftwood kept his eyes on the green eyes. 

We eventually saw its shadow. It only had one green eye from the side as it walked near our site, and it's gait was very...frumpy. We, being intelligent human beings concluded it had to be a buck. A very large, curious and I afraid buck, but a buck. 

Needless to say, neither of us slept well that night. There's something blood curdling scary about hearing a squeal that perhaps should have come from an ancient reptile, while you're sitting in darkness on top of a mountain. Lesson learned about campsite decisions!

I have to say, that yesterday, while the world was waking up to the sickening news of the terror attacks in Orlando, I woke up to the best of humanity. A large family that camps together twice a year was next to us at our campsite. We stayed at the Pine Grove State Park. They immediately invited to join their family gatherings, play yardtze, and eat amazing food! This morning they insisted on having us over for breakfast. We shared information about our lives. I learned one part of the family is from Castle Rock! Kari's son will be on my base with the Air National Guard in just a few months. It's a small world. We exchanged numbers and I look forward to meeting them all again. Sue, whom I took to be the matriarch, but may just be the organizing figure of the vacation, welcomed Driftwood and myself into their family. She prayed for us at breakfast and told us stories of her mother finishing the AT when she was 76! 

It was a tough realization, when hours later I learned about the terror attack. I couldn't believe that one or maybe a few people could bring an entire community, a country even, to its knees. And while all that was going on, I witnessed a truly generous and loving group of people who showed total strangers the same kindness they gave each other.  It was a moment of sad clarity. But a moment to recognize and savor for its simplicity. Terror, fear, grief, sadness, horror and many other negative and life changing feelings were happening all around Orlando, my hometown and our country, and I was being present with a group of strangers that made me feel like family. 

Today's hike was easy. A bit too short, but we were so tired, needed to do laundry and needed a shower. We may be a bit spoiled with the showering opportunities but I am a better hiker when my hiker must is kept at a bare minimum. 

Boiling Springs is so cute! It's difficult to focus or think of anything but what is happening in Orlando. But we try. We try to remember how lucky we are to be hiking. And to be grateful this is my life for the next couple months. 

Back to Boiling Speings.  Here we met Jesus. He is from West Palm Beach and even went to our mortal enemy, Forest Hill for high school. Small world! He was very kind even though he is moving to Atlanta and has a 159 things to do before so. He showed us around his town, let us do laundry and take a shower. Then he took us to his favorite Mexican restaurant. It was excellent. 

I watched NCIS with his father-in-law and enjoyed my conversation with him. What a great family and I wish them luck in their new endeavo!

 

Oh! Another thing that happened yesterday...we witnessed a tree falling in the woods. Not just a little tree...a huge tree that took down a healthy little guy with him! It was extremely loud, but really cool, and the two thru-hikers there with us were just as amazed as us and caught it on tape!

I also met, Ron the State Trooper. He kindly gave me a ride. I still have a very hard time accepting help from people, but Ron made it seem very natural to accept and allow a fellow human to help me. He also bought me a beer, something I am always super happy to accept!

Here are some pics from the hike today:

 

 
 

Happy Trails and heavy hearts

Punky Shire

No comments:

Post a Comment