Start: Boiling Springs Backpacker Campsite
Destination: Tinman's Lawn
Trail Miles: 10.1
Total Trail Miles: 153.9
Destination: Tinman's Lawn
Trail Miles: 10.1
Total Trail Miles: 153.9
We planned on 14 miles today. But got caught up in a small town with a big heart. The AT goes right through this little town of Duncannon, PA. It used to be an industrial town but now doesn't really have any industry at all and business are going under and the people seem to be moving out. But the people that are here are certainly keepers.
But first let me explain to you the hike into town. You can see the elevation courtesy of Guthook's app above, but you can't see the terrain. You know, rocks, mud, rivers, gorges, etc. those kinds of things. A hiker may look at that elevation profile and think, YES a semi easy day!
Oh my friend, do not let ye be so easily fooled. The climbs on this mountain were brutal and the rocks relentless. Which, apparently, only gets worse from here. Super. I'm laying in my tent (in someone's lawn FYI) with my feet throbbing. They're speaking directly to me. They're saying...don't even think about it Beswinski. We're not moving for several days. Then...they just do. Somehow...the little synapses in my brain get my feet to start moving...so I'm sure the powerhouses will work their magic on my body carriers tomorrow as well.
We had some beautiful views today!
Unfortunately it was overcast, so the pictures came out hazy. I refuse to be a life-enjoyment sucker, so I won't mention or harp on the fact that we rarely have views. So, we, meaning other hikers in general, get pretty excited when we do have one. Especially if it's ON the trail and not .25 miles in a different direction. Because then you're certainly doing cost-benefit analysis on whether or not you're going to see that view. Hey, it's just reality, I still typically choose the view.
Here are a couple more:
Then the trail turned into rocks. It's like some sick joke the ATC is playing on us.
Some areas had steps made out of the stone we were waking over. Every time I wanted to complain I thought about the person that put the steps there. That puts me right back in my complaining-ass place.
We made it to the famous Doyle Hotel! It was built in the 1700s, burned down in 1903 and rebuilt to the structure it is today. Adolphus Busch bought it in 1880 and it remained with Anheuser-Busch until prohibition.
The building has a rich history, but much of it is still unknown. The current owners provide a place for hikers to eat, have a cold drink, and a place to rest their heads if they choose. We even got a picture with one of the owners Vicky.
Well, on our way out the owners and every other hiker in the Doyle told us we had to stop off at the free hiker dinner the local Lutheran church provides. We said sure. These people were so very kind. People that just want to do something nice for hikers coming through their town. They wouldn't accept donations. All they wanted was to talk to us and learn about our stories. They made homemade spaghetti, ice cream, fresh fruit and salad. It was delightful and unexpected. Another lesson in accepting kindness or help from other people. These people made it so simple. They're doing exactly what they want to be doing. It's a basic thought. But not easily absorbed for me. I'm working on it though!
So by the time we left there it was after 7:00 pm. Oh! And I showered at the Doyle. I'm not sure how long it will be in business, but to be sure they will take care of hikers as long as they are.
Tinman and his very sweet fiancé Samantha offered us to stay on their lawn. Tinman, a 2011 thru-hiker, said he received so much trail magic and help from so many trail angels that he just wants to do what he can to help other hikers now. His five acre property sits on the AT (how cool!). They can see hikers as they are either starting to ascend Peters mountain (I believe) or coming down from it. It's a beautiful home Tinman saw on his thru-hike. It was for sale when he passed by it. It stuck in his mind and after summiting Katahdin, came back and bought it, leaving his home state of North Carolina.
Going to sleep under his enormous sycamore tree, watching lightening bugs all over his yard, listening to the rain patter on my tent...I'm very content. Reflection on such a full day is not easy. But I tried to be present with the people making us dinner, to be focused on what was right in front of me and I found that it actually wasn't that difficult. In fact it was a very enriching evening for me. Sitting on Tinman and Samantha's porch learning about the AT from someone that's already done it, sharing Samantha's wine (thank you!!) and looking at a beautiful view of the river and mountain, I was very blessed. It's a great feeling. Even though I cut my miles short. Even though my feet throbbed. Even though the Orlando events have deeply affected me. Even though I was so full and tired I wanted to fall over!
I didn't get a picture at the dinner nor with Tinman and Samantha. I kick myself when these things happen.
Thank you to all the people that have touched my life today! Here are some more pics.
No comments:
Post a Comment