Thursday, July 28, 2016

Day 49: New Hiking Buds

 26 July 2016
Start: Winturri Shelter
Destination: Linda's House
Trail Miles: 16.6
Total Trail Miles: 402.9
State: VT

I hiked for 14 hours today.  One would think that means I went really far, but alas, only 16.6 miles.  It started out with the On the Edge Farm.  It was about a two hour diversion, but so worth it.  This farm was adorable and sold fresh baked pies from down the road.  I loved it. 

I bought farm fresh blueberries from the Measley family who have been growing only blueberries since 1939.  I bought some Vermont cheese and made a sandwich.  I spent way too much money for one stop, but again...worth it. 




 

After leaving the farm, I needed to make a call to the post office.  I had no service, but I saw this van parked at a house I was walking by and deciding to knock.  I mean the owner of this van has to be amazing, right?  And Ms Janet IS amazing.  She let me use the phone, took my trash and talked to me for about 45 minutes.  She is a fabulous supporter of hikers, but doesn't hike much anymore herself.  She knows so much about trail and gave me so many pointers.  I thanked her and moved on.


I was leap frogging with several people all day.  And one we'd met in Duncannon at the Doyle, Nailgun!  Three of us ended up at Trail Angel Linda's house.  Trail Angel Linda is an incredibly special lady.  She took in over 1400 hikers last season.  She had food cooking for me when I walked up.  She waved to me from across the bridge and told me to come relax.  She cooked, she provided cold sodas and water, and opened her barn to us.  We stayed in the top of her barn.  She made us coffee and breakfast the next morning.  She said her nephew hiked the trail a few years back and told her about trail angels and the huge positive impact they have on thru-hikers.  So her and her husband decided to take up helping us poor souls.  Truly, the trail reminds me every single day how with just a taking a little notice of the people around us, our hearts can't help but open.  People are good. 



 Tomorrow we cross into NH! I am looking forward to a little break, a shower and a bed.  :)  I'm planning to stay at the Norwich Inn, built in 1797 and has it's own brewery.  I mean, history AND beer?  Yes, please!

Happy Trails!
Punky Shire

No comments:

Post a Comment