Start: Story Spring Shelter
Destination: Winall River Tent Site
Trail Miles:12.6
Total Trail Miles: 307.7
State: VT
Another great day of hiking! Cooler today too. The harassing attacks are still happening, but I've come to accept them as part of the day.
There were so many views today. Stratton Mountain wasn't as difficult as I'd worked up in my head. Lots of elevation gain and loss today, but it was worth it for that view!
There was a firetower at the top of Stratton Mountain. That was scarier than climbing the mountain. It was windy, but so worth the harrowing vertical stairs. The caretaker up there is very nice. She talks to hikers about the history of the area and general helpful information. She told me how to hitch at the bottom of the mountain and said I wouldn't have any issues hitching alone here. Hmmmm. We'll see about that one.
| My finger is in the only picture I took of the firetower. But you can see the steps leading down. |
Stratton Pond was next. That was the ten mile point and they have a tent site on the north side of the pond. It was so pretty, but I really want to have a short hiking day tomorrow into Manchester Center, VT. Time for some laundry and showering! The things you get excited about out here. Ha!
| Stratton Pond |
I was going to hike 15 miles and camp at Douglas Shelter, but saw Wild Bill stopped at Winall River at a stealth site and decided to camp here instead. The Douglas Shelter is .5 miles off the trail and this spot is right on the river. I felt really good today and could have kept hiking, but am feeling great about this location.
Tomorrow I will have about an 8 mile day into Manchester, so it's working out well!
Punky Shire
No comments:
Post a Comment