Start: Little Rock Pond
Destination: Clarendon Shelter
Trail Miles: 13.6
Total Trail Miles: 349.6
State: VT
River sleeping is the best! Not actually IN the river of course. But right next to it. It's lovely. And drowns out all the other night noises. There are a few other people here but all spread out. So I feel like I have the place to myself. Todo get was the first night I spent time at the shelter, chatting with the other hikers, ate my dinner and just relaxed.
There are several SOBOs (south bound) here. We're seeing more and more people that started at Katahdin. It's actually pretty cool. I like to hear their stories about what is considered the most beautiful and difficult parts of the trail. They've just completed them and we're all about to start them.
This is a rock garden. People make cairns all over the top of this mountain. The forest here is beautiful. Pine filled aromas and large older trees dominate the landscape. But you know you're on the top of the mountain because all you see is sky when you look up. It's quite peaceful.
People at the shelters give trail town pointers. Where to stay. Where to get a beer. Where the cheapest resupply is. How far things are from the trail. It's a different life out here. As we were sitting by the shelter people passed out their food. Shared first aid supplies, whiskey and the prized beer they carried this far into the mountains. It was a good night. Even the guy that hiked 27 miles today showed concern about my feet. I'm going to try and do a shorter day tomorrow. We have a 4,000 ft climb up Killington Mountain, so that may be an easy accomplishment. Not the mountain, the lower mileage.
I haven't been able to get signal enough to tell Piper where and what to send in my next resupply box. Or to call the post office in Manchester to bounce forward the two I missed there on Sat. So, I have some logistics to plan as soon as I get service and figure out where I'm going over the next couple days.
I've been so focused on the hiking I've let the logistics part slack a little and now I'll suffer the consequences. NO COFFEE! There are just some things you shouldn't be without. And my instant Bustello is one of them.
The river is just on the other side of my tent. You can't really see it in this picture though.
Not sure where I'm hiking tomorrow. Just that I'm hiking over a big mountain. Happy Trails!
One Step at a Time
One Day at a Time
Punky
No comments:
Post a Comment