Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Day 33/34:

Eckville Shelter
Bake Oven Knob Road
Trail Miles: 16.8
Total Trail Miles: 257.5

So many things happened in these two days, I feel remiss in having not written in such a long time. It's been quite the journey off then back to the trail...but before that let's talk about Bake Oven Knob. 

It's a very famous rock the locals like to hike to. It has a view and room to spread out. It is also covered in graffiti. And when I say graffiti, I'm not talking Lee Quinones here. I'm talking 2nd grade vocabulary and penmanship. Vulgar. Repetitive (like seeing the word 'penis' is more effective if you write several dozen times) and plain silly. 

Colton and I had a good laugh with the couple we shared the rocks with. Edgar and Sally are nice. And they laughed at our jokes so we liked them exponentially more. They weren't the kind of nice to offer a ride or anything. But they let us know local info and such. 

Here are a couple pics. I'll try to keep the profanity out. ;)

 
 

This was our last day on the trail before we both had to take care of some things in our respective states. I flew to CO to help take care of some business things as well as let my ankle finally heal a little. 

Last night we stayed at the Blue Summit B&B. Well, we stayed on the lawn.  And tonight...John and Jenny's!

After Bake Oven we settled in to wait for John to come rescue us. It was quite a drive for him after a long day, but he was a good sport! We ended our hike with sitting in the freezing rain for two hours. Hunkered under our rain gear under a weak tree canopy. It was actually slightly miserable. Then we decided to cook! We made lots and lots of food. Which made us feel better. Mac and cheese, black beans and rice...and even some cheesy ramen. It passed the time and made us feel better. 

Neither of us knew if we'd be on the trail together again, so we did what any two normal people would do...an interpretive dance montage. All 17 of the cars at the parking lot cleared out during or shortly after the rain storm (the trail gods abandoned us, and not one person decided to help the freezing, wet, only semi-stinky hikers) so we had an enormous stage. We danced through all our weeks on the trail. Trying to remember every person that helped us. Every hiker we encountered. Wisdom imparted on us. Lessons learned. And of course, the characters we have come across. It was a perfect ending to what we hope will only be a comma in our AT adventures together!

 
Yep, the one and only Liberty Bell. 

 
Beverages of our forefathers. 

 
Farewell brews at the Philadelphia airport.

I'll be back on the trail. And I'll meet new and interesting people I wouldn't have otherwise met. I'm looking forward to the break in a sad but necessary kind of way. 

One Step at a Time. 
One Day at a Time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment