Start: Cooper Lodge
Destination: Rutland / Comfort Inn
Trail Miles: 6.3
Total Trail Miles: 366.3
State: VT
Today was an "easy" day. Only 6.3 miles to US 4. I caught the Express bus for $2 into the town of Rutland. It was too early to check into my hotel so I decided to check out the Yellow Deli I keep hearing so much about.
There is a Yellow Deli in Boulder, CO and something similar in Manitou Springs, CO, but I can't remember having been to either of them. I walked into the deli and it was like little Hobbiton right there in Rutland! It was so cute! And everything smelled amazing. There was freshly baked breads on the counter and super smiling face to greet me at the door. I was immediately poured a Peach Mate because they thought I was staying in their hostel. I explained I wasn't but that I was there to have lunch.
I ordered a cheese sandwich with all the veggies I could imagine on it. They steam their sandwiches. Um, amazing! Brilliant idea really. Anyway, the peach mate was a bit life changing. I mean, think water in a desert. It was truly refreshing and delicious. I will dream of it on the trail for sure.
The gentleman behind the bar was gracious and very friendly. I spent some time with him and began discussing their "community". The deli is owned by the Twelve Tribes, The Commonwealth of Israel. It's a commune like religious group that runs farms and deli's all over the country. They all live and work together. Raise their children together. And have no belongings. They say they have given their lives to their savior, Yahsua and the only way to do that is to live in The Way. Meaning together. It's a very lovely and positive place to have some lunch. But I won't be moving in anytime soon.
After the Yellow Deli I wanted to check into my hotel then head back for a beer at the local brewery. I resupplied, showered, and rested a while. I also tried to get the insoles. There is nothing like dealing with the logistics of manuvering yourself around a city without a vehicle to make one appreciate having one. The EMS inside a decrepit and dying mall didn't have any Superfeet. So, I then took the bus back to the Hop n Moose brewery. The beer was excellent. I drank their signature choc stout aged in rye whiskey barrels. I will dream of this beer at night in my tent...as well as the peach mate.
I met so many interesting people at the Yellow Deli, but after the long day I felt I needed solitude and some time to myself. I went back to my hotel and decided to do just that.
I also realized I couldn't leave without taking care of my feet. I found a place called Sensible Shoe and called them. They had the insoles! I told the hotel I'd be staying another night and decided I probably needed the zero anyway.
I went to the shoe store and the owner, Greg was a true gem. I found the Superfeet and explained my issue to him. He told me he'd stretch my shoe for me! What a very nice man. It took him a while to get it but I was happy to wait. He was doing me a favor! I got his card to write him a review.
I had received the card of a gentleman in town that has a shuttle service. I used him yesterday once and he was a genuine man with a huge heart. He got custody of his kids and decided to move them to Vermont from Long Island, NY to raise them. His son is a Marine and his daughter is in college. He gave me the skinny on the town always with a positive spin. Apparently, Rutland hasn't received much positive publicity lately and is really only known for its heroine use.
Kenny and I became friends. He was a ray of light on my day and I gave his card to several people as well as gave him a hiker fare right after dropping me off.
This journey I'm on isn't just about the miles under my feet. It's about experiencing the towns, people and culture along the way. I want to savor the time I have in nature as well as the time I spend in the small towns enroute to Maine. I think I'm succeeding at that.
Happy Trails
Punky Shire
No comments:
Post a Comment