Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Day 36: Vermont!

12 July 2016

Start: Pete's Spring and Campsite 
Destination: Congdon Shelter
Trail Miles: 12.5
Total Trail Miles: 271.8
State: MA to VT

We crossed into Vermont (lovingly known as Vermud on the AT) today. It was fun! The same people I camped with last night are all here. I was the last one to arrive however. That's alright, I made it. And it wasn't a horrible hike. I mean the terrain wasn't THAT horrible. I just got lost for the second time. I was listening to my audio book, strolling along. And twice I told myself to find a blaze. To make sure. Because the first time was enough. I THOUGHT I saw one. And went back to book and stroll. 

Well, it was probably a beam of light reflecting artistically on that tree. Because I was NOT on the AT.
So my 12.4 day was ACTUALLY a 14.7 day. But we can't count those miles. 

 
 
The AT enters Vermont and follows the Lont Trail for about 105 miles. The LT continues up to Canada. And the AT, of course turns to Maine. 

This is a very popular trail. Lots of traffic. Which isn't bad, but it's definitely, busy. They call it Vermud for a reason. Lots and lots of mud. They try in some areas to build these boardwalks over the mud. But, it's not quite enough. Vermont is a very beautiful place, despite the mud. So far, I'm enjoying the deep, lush greenery I'm hiking in. The trees are incredibly old and the green can be almost so green you can't look at it. 

 

The people in Vermont are very friendly. They love their state...and their beer. They don't appear to "bless you" when you sneeze, but maybe those people were from out of town. Or maybe it's not in their culture. Either way, I won't judge them for it. I'll try not to anyway. 

 
Beaver Pond. I think. 

 
Maybe the real Beaver Pond?

So after getting lost...I was a bit under the weather. My feet hurt like never before. And I felt like my stupidity was the only reason I was lost. It was a little disheartening. Everyone at the shelter was helpful trying to let me know where a tent spot might be open. I thought...well...I'll have to make do with the first thing I see. I may not make it!

I am on a slope. But it's not too bad. Cheap hung my bag for me. He had to take both of his down to get his glass...to share this amazing Belgian beer with me. I posted the pic in yesterday's post...but I will again for effect. 
 
Bright Ideas Brewing. So gooooood. 

We split the beer and all was well in the world. I packed the big beer in and wished Colton was around to share it with, but found a second best candidate. 

I needed it after my day. I met a first time long-distance hiker, named Paul. He's young and very enthusiastic about hiking. I love it! He also loves beer. He got his girlfriend to hike her first "real" hike as he described it. They did 25 miles. He's solo hiking the Long Trail. He'll go on to Canada while we'll all keep moving toward Katahdid. 

He is taking in everyone out here. What they use. What they don't. Which gear he will switch to. Etc. it was very nice meeting him. 

Tonight I will try to sleep without the headphones. I already know of the aggressive chipmunks. Let's see if I can ignore the other sounds of the night. I'm definitely the furthest into the woods. So, I guess I'll be the first encounter for a bear or other Vermontian creature. We'll see!

Nite for now. 
Punky Shire 


6 comments:

  1. Yay, you're back! Best of luck on your continued adventures...can't wait to read about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mandie! Still no bear stories, but I'm sure there will be plenty of adventures to come. :)

      Delete
  2. You're doing great! Still following you and wishing you good feet. Remember that even unexpected miles are part of the journey. Be safe! -Jay H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jay! The experience has been uplifting in many ways. Hurts like heck, but it's all part of the experience. Thanks for reading. :)

      Delete
  3. Love you sis keep up the work you're doing a great job wish I was with you I could use a beer love you bye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish you were here too. Could use one of your amazing hugs right now! Love to you both.

      Delete