Start: US 4 (Rutland)
Destination: Stony Brook Shelter
Trail Miles: 10.0
Total Trail Miles: 376.3
State: VT
Getting back on trail is always hard. Being in town messes with your psyche and tests your resolve. I enjoyed Rutland. It was fun, lively, educational...and it has a brewery.
My first couple miles on the trail were straight up today. I felt like I was in slow motion. I was vaguely aware of my surroundings as I huffed and puffed up and up. Then I realized I was in some beautiful forest. It was simply enchanting and I almost missed out on it.
I stopped and took it in. The smells. The sounds. It was quite moving actually.
I walked through a beautiful state park
The park was full of people. It must be very popular during the summer. As I kept walking I realized there was a mountain lodge along the pond that had a sign reading "Hikers Welcome!" Sweet. Restaurant and shower. I walked up the long hill to the lodge and walked in. There was a huge hiker box and tons of hiker USPS packages. I was getting excited for a hot lunch out of the rain and possibly a shower.
Then one of the employees came out to tell me no hikers were allowed. My hope deflated, the beer oasis disappeared in the clouds. He said the lodge is a wedding venue and they had a wedding that day. I couldn't even stay long enough to sit out the storms. So, onward I went.
I ended up at the Stony Brook Shelter. I tented in a very congested camp. Sigh. I like having people around because I'm always alone. I hike alone and I camp alone. But typically when I get to camp I want to stay alone. Sometimes I enjoy the company. But the Long Trail and AT traffic is a lot to handle when you're in quiet, painful, elegant solitude all day. ;)
Punky Shire
No comments:
Post a Comment