16 August 2016
Start: Safford Campsite
Destination: Easy Carry Pond
Trail Miles: 16.5
Total Trail Miles:
State: ME
Another beautiful day for hiking. It wasn't an easy day, but it was a day of many sights and views. Miss covered the forest ground and the huge trees bellowed up in prominent, other worldly style.
We had one big climb today and the rest of the elevation was minimal. The terrain varied quite a bit with big jutting rocks and roots on much of the trail.
I left early, trying for a longer day. But 17 seems to be my body's limit. I'm ok with that, plus Driftwood's ankle is still pretty swollen, so I set up camp on a pond a few miles short of our goal. He had a rough day and got to camp at almost dark. But the little beach area was quite beautiful and there was even driftwood there!
Tomorrow we'll hike about 11 miles and then go into the small town of Caratunk to do laundry and shower, beer at the brewery while we wait, then back on the trail.
Today reminded me how amazed at Maine I am. I met a trail angel named Tom. He grew up in Maine, joined the Coast Guard, retired after 35 years and came back here. He loves the snow. And he loves the winter. He helps hikers by opening his home and shuttling them around. He gave me a bottle of water which I desperately needed. He also gave me his card in case I needed any help before Monson.
The diverse terrain here makes me want to spend more time in Maine when I'm done with the AT. It's on mom's bucket list so I'll bring her too.
Happy Trails!
Punky Shire
No comments:
Post a Comment