Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Day 55: Weather Zero

01 August 2016

Start: Hikers Welcome Hostel
Destination: Chet's House
Trail Miles: 0
Total Trail Miles: 417.9
State: NH

The irony in having to take today off is how much planning went into ending yesterday in a short day so I can watch Bourne. And now I have a whole day off. 

David took us to the post office yesterday so we have our boxes. I'm still waiting for two packages, so I had them sent to Trail Angel Chet's house. Chet has been opening his home to hikers for seven years. Before that his father did. When Chet was 24 he was going to start his own thru-hike. While preparing some of his gear his MSR stove and fuel tank blew up, catching him on fire. He was in a coma and had burns over 80% of his body. Ultimately he would be in a wheelchair. He still has a great passion for the trail, for the outdoors in general and for hikers. He's truly a remarkable and resilient human and I plan to think of him for inspiration during the tougher parts of the hike. 

It rained all day today. We did go to the river and had dinner there. It was beautiful!
 

 

I set my tent up out back of his house in the rain. Really no choice. I can't really do communal sleeping  and need my tent and my space. There are probably 15 hikers sleeping here, but only three tents out back. 

It's cozy and private and I like it. Tomorrow's weather is supposed to be fantastic. So we're looking forward to hiking. I'm ready to hike! 

No drinking today, hydration and eating too much, but no drinking. 

Mt. Moosilauke tomorrow!

Punky Shire 


No comments:

Post a Comment