Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Day 59: Views and More

07 August 2016

Start: Garfield Campsite
Destination: Stealth Campsite
Trail Miles: 4.8
Total Trail Miles: 460.2
State: NH

 

These elevation pictures from Guthook's app may or may not mean much to most people but it's the book of knowledge for me. It dictates my days, my planning, and sometimes my mood. 

Today was a short day. But a big hike. The vertical down and the vertical up sections were relentless. Unending rocks, boulders and slippery moss waiting to take their next victim. I did indeed fall today. But I did not hurt myself too badly. Bumps bruises and a few drops of blood haven't killed me yet. As long as I don't keep re-injuring my ankle I think I can handle the mini-falls. No biggies for me! 

We got started late this morning. I didn't wake up until about 6:30a. So it was about 8:30a when we finally got on the trail. I was up last night for hours with my cold. I finally put my sleeping bag under my sleeping pad to elevate my head. It helped a little and I was able to sleep for a few hours. 

Here are some morning pictures of the trail. 
 

 

It was chilly today and even colder tonight! We are both in our tents zipped up in our sleeping bags and it's only 7:30p. Early start tomorrow so we both need the rest anyway. We plan to hike a 13.7 mile day tomorrow. I won't see Driftwood for the day so we'll have to stick to the plan so we don't lose each other. The idea is to hitch a ride to a campsite that has laundry and showers. Four days is about both our limits on those two items. 

So, today we hiked separate as usual, but Driftwood had to keep waiting for me at the important junctions. It was cool for me because I still got to see a lot of the views with him. We planned to try our hands at a Work For Stay (WFS) at a hut. It was too early, but we got lemonade, a bowl of soup, homemade bread and a cookie. Not bad, but then we had to keep hiking!

 

The 1200ft incline in .8 of a mile was a booty crusher! Well it crushed everything. But it felt good when it was over and the views were unbelievable. 

 

 

So green! It's like a blanket rolling over the mountains. It's gorgeous in the sun, in the rain...when the morning and afternoon light hits it. I could never tire of it. 

 


Hard to tell from this picture, but the decline was not much better than the climb up! 

 
 
Our camp is cozy and off the trail enough to not see the hikers still zooming by. There are two other hikers nearby, I can't see them but I can surely hear them.  I guess getting away from civilization is more of a challenge on this trail than others. 

 

Happy Trails!

One Step at a Time
One Day at a Time 

Punky Shire

No comments:

Post a Comment