08 August 2016
Start: One Notch
Destination: To Another Notch
Trail Miles: 13.9
Total Trail Miles: 474.1
State: NH
What a glorious hiking day! The weather was perfect. The terrain wasn't completely wretched and the views were spectacular. Not much more I can ask in a day on the trail.
There are a lot of people in the Whites. Thru-hikers are only about 5% of the visitors here. The state goes to great measures to protect the area, which typically includes charging a ton of money to keep the numbers down.
There were parts of today's trail that reminded me of Colorado. It made me miss the dramatic landscapes there too!
Ending the Whites in a couple days and it's a bittersweet transition. It's been incredibly beautiful here, but also quite brutal on my body. And northern Maine is more of the same. Either way, I'm looking forward to walking into another stare I haven't been to yet! There is something primal about trekking across state borders with all your necessicities on your back. As September approaches and my time on this part of the trail comes to an end, I think about these things even more.
Time to catch the shuttle to the trailhead. The shower and laundry was nice but back to woods I go!
Happy Trails.
Punky Shire
No comments:
Post a Comment