04 August 2016
Start: Lincoln, Campsite
Destination: Kinsmans
Trail Miles: 16.3
Total Trail Miles: 446.1
State: NH
Today was the most difficult hike I've ever experienced. It was extremely challenging and rewarding, and tested my fortitude to be sure.
I will start by saying we hadn't intended to slack pack today. But then we met a family at the Price Chopper who is camping locally. They were the kindest people. They took us in and gave us a home for two nights and let us slack pack today. You might remember slack packing as a day of hiking without the entire weight of our packs. Typically one will carry a day pack of some sort.
To slack pack, you must have some type of outside support. This support usually comes in the form of transportation. This family let us stay in one of their RVs and gave us a ride to and from the trailhead.
Where they camp is on the river and looks out to the mountains. I meant to get a picture of the site but forgot. I also meant to get pictures with the family and forgot. It's incredibly annoying when I do these things.
We ended up hiking in the dark because we hadn't anticipated exactly the kind of terrain we were dealing with. We'd been warned, but I guess some things need to be experienced for true absorption and comprehension.
The elevation profile doesn't do justice to the terrain. And how it was basically slipping and sliding and grappling myself up and down. I thought Moosilauke was difficult. This was a whole new ball game.
I think every day on the Whites will bring its challenges. I've learned to accept this fact and embrace it. Bask in the rewards rather than focus on the negatives.
We ended up hiking in the dark with our phone lights. Yeah, yeah...I know, I didn't have my pack with my headlamp in it. It wasn't the smartest decision I've made in a while. I have a collection of these...bad ideas as I call them. It's a retrospective glimpse into the thought processes leading to my decisions.
Here are some pictures from today's hike:
We hiked by the first hut and instantly understood what the big deal is all about. I guess I need to stay in one while in the Whites. It's a lot of money to let go of, particularly for a place without showers! But they're beautiful. And meant to give people the opportunity to hike the whites without the weight of food in their pack.
We won't be hiking 16.3 miles again in the Whites. Everyone says to take my time. Slow down and enjoy the Whites...and now I plan to do just that.
Tomorrow brings Franconia!
Happy Trails
Punky Shire
No comments:
Post a Comment