It's now March and I can feel the excitement buzzing around me. Not that other people are excited...just that everywhere I turn, all I see is the trail, supplies for the trail, gear, planning, logistics, trail angels, visitors, etc. It's become a bit of an obsession I must admit.
I would almost guarantee the people in my daily life are extremely tired of hearing about the trail. I imagine them whispering when I come in the room, afraid to engage me in conversation, because inevitably it WILL turn to the Appalachian Trail. It will turn to some new piece of gear I learned about. Or some new horror story I heard about the black flies. Or some book I read, blog I obsessed over, YouTube gear review video they will be forced to suffer through. But in reality, I'm a very lucky person. I have many people in my life just as interested in hiking and the outdoors as I am. So, I do have outlets, which, apparently I really need, because this thru-hike is the only thing I can think or speak about.
I would almost guarantee the people in my daily life are extremely tired of hearing about the trail. I imagine them whispering when I come in the room, afraid to engage me in conversation, because inevitably it WILL turn to the Appalachian Trail. It will turn to some new piece of gear I learned about. Or some new horror story I heard about the black flies. Or some book I read, blog I obsessed over, YouTube gear review video they will be forced to suffer through. But in reality, I'm a very lucky person. I have many people in my life just as interested in hiking and the outdoors as I am. So, I do have outlets, which, apparently I really need, because this thru-hike is the only thing I can think or speak about.
![]() |
| I'll be seeing you! |
Lately I've been diving into the little tips and tricks pervious thru-hikers have shared with the world. They let you dive into their personal world, dissect it, and make parts of it your own. This I appreciate.
One in particular stands out to me. I will have to get the link to her YouTube page so I'm giving credit where it's due, but for now I will just say she cut the bottom out of a gallon water/milk jug. By day it held her head lamp and other items that could use a little protection. In the evening she put water in it for a little bath time. I have been desperately trying to figure out how I was going to take my mini-baths. Now I know! How brilliant and simple! How just perfect for what I feel like will still be important to me even weeks into my hike.
I mean, let's talk about hygiene here. WHY does it have to go away just because you're long-distance hiking? True, I've never felt the weight of my pack for longer than a three day trek, but really? Do we have to take the "smelly hiker" quip THAT far? I would just like to say, I know I will stink. And sweat. And stink some more. But I don't have to be the burnt onion walking into a business establishment. I will be the one the owner says..."aww, at least you tried. Now go take a shower and I'll make you some dinner."
I've been hiking with my pack lately. I load it with 30 pounds and walk about five miles. Over the next two months, I will be doing longer and harder hikes. I'm having fun and looking forward to every minute I can hike here in the Rockies before I head for Appalachia!One in particular stands out to me. I will have to get the link to her YouTube page so I'm giving credit where it's due, but for now I will just say she cut the bottom out of a gallon water/milk jug. By day it held her head lamp and other items that could use a little protection. In the evening she put water in it for a little bath time. I have been desperately trying to figure out how I was going to take my mini-baths. Now I know! How brilliant and simple! How just perfect for what I feel like will still be important to me even weeks into my hike.
I mean, let's talk about hygiene here. WHY does it have to go away just because you're long-distance hiking? True, I've never felt the weight of my pack for longer than a three day trek, but really? Do we have to take the "smelly hiker" quip THAT far? I would just like to say, I know I will stink. And sweat. And stink some more. But I don't have to be the burnt onion walking into a business establishment. I will be the one the owner says..."aww, at least you tried. Now go take a shower and I'll make you some dinner."
Thought of the Day:
If you are walking to seek, ye shall find. ~Sommeil Liberosensa

No comments:
Post a Comment